Kroštule, originating from the Istria and Dalmatia regions of Croatia, are a traditional pastry made by deep frying ribbon-shaped dough. Geat to serve after dinner. Check out this recipe below.
Flour- 200 g
Sugar – 50 g
Egg yolks – 3
Oil – 1 dl
Rakija – 1 dl
Milk – 150 ml
Lemon – 1/2 skin
Oil – 500 ml for frying
Icing sugar – 100 g
Salt – 1 pinch
1. In a bowl mix together the egg yolks, sugar, milk, oil, rakija, pinch of salt and grated lemon skin.
2. Add flour then to the mixture, mixing well with a spatula. On a board, sprinkled with flour, mix the dough with your hands till its semi-hard.
3. With a rolling pin roll out the dough to 5 mm rectangular sheets. With a pastry wheel cut out strips 10 x 3 cm in size.
4. With a little knife cut a little part in the centre and through the opening pull the other end of the pastry through.
5. Deep-fry until golden in colour.
Once done take out and sprinkle some icing sugar on top.
Check out the video instructions below: