Grah, or bean soup, is a hearty, winter favourite, but that does not mean it is not enjoyed all year round in Croatia.
Grah is a tasty meal to fill up the whole family which is also very economical at the same time. Sausages are usually added to the bean soup too.
Check out the recipe and video instructions below.
Beans – 900 g
Sausages – 400 g
Bay leaf – 5
Flour – 60 g
Garlic – 4 cloves
Tomato puree – 1 tablespoon
1. Chop the sausages into small bite-size pieces and place in boiling water – turn the temperature down and cook in water on a low heat.
2. In a pan with oil fry first, the flour, add the crushed garlic cloves and stir. Then add the tomato puree and mix again. Add some water from which the sausages a cooking in and keep stirring removing lumps.
3. Pour the tomato, garlic, flour mixture into the pot with the sausages and water. Add the bay leaf and let cook for 20 minutes on medium heat.
4. Add the beans and cook for a further 2-3 minutes. Add salt and pepper and cook for another minute.
5. Chop some parsley and ready to serve. Dobar tek.