Čupavci, or the Croatian lamingtons, are jam-filled sponge cake squares coated with an outer layer of chocolate sauce and rolled in desiccated coconut.
Check out this easy recipe from top Croatian chef Almo Čatlak.
Eggs – 3
Sugar – 150 g
Oil – 160 ml
Milk – 100 ml
Flour (rough) – 230 g
Baking powder – 10 g
Milk – 120 ml
Cooking chocolate – 150 g
Butter – 150 g
Sugar – 100 g
Coconut – 100 g
1. Sift the flour and yeast in a bowl, add sugar, oil, milk, eggs and beat together.
2. Pour the mixture into a baking tray lined with parchment paper and cook in the oven at 190°C for around 20 minutes.
3. Take the sponge out of the oven and let it cool on a tray. When cool cut in half. One half spread jam (of your choice) over and then put the other half on top.
4. Boil water in a pot, cover with a plate. On the plate put the cooking chocolate, butter, sugar and milk (120 ml) and keep mixing until it all melts.
5. Cut the jam-filled sponge into squares.
6. Dip the squares into the chocolate sauce and then roll in coconut.
Check out the short video with instructions below: