Arancini, or narancini, is candied orange (or mandarin) peel and is a popular sweet particularly in southern Croatia.
It is easy and simple to make so instead of throwing away your orange skins give this recipe a go.
Sugar – 300 g
1. Organic oranges are the best to use. Make sure you clean all the flesh from the peel with a spoon so it is left white.
2. Cut the peel into 5 mm wide strips. Soak them water overnight. This will help get rid of any bitterness. Strain off and let dry.
3. On a cold pan pour in the sugar (should cover the bottom of the pan). Now turn on the heat and mix for a minute before adding the orange peel.
4. Mix all together so the sugar covers the peel (don’t let the sugar melt).
5. Remove from heat and place in a bowl of sugar. Mix together and then remove individually and place on baking paper to dry.
6. Place them in an air-tight container.
Video instructions below.