Home » News » PM confirms 19 new coronavirus cases in Croatia, 254 in total

PM confirms 19 new coronavirus cases in Croatia, 254 in total

(Photo: HINA/ Daniel KASAP)

ZAGREB, March 22 (Hina) – Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic said on Sunday the number of those infected with coronavirus in Croatia had risen by 19 and now stood at 254, and thanked all services for the job done after a 5.5 quake rocked Zagreb this morning.

“After we visited the city and saw the extent of the damage, I’d like to thank first and foremost all the services which have given their maximum,” Plenkovic told reporters after the second daily meeting of the state leadership.

He also thanked citizens for the responsibility shown as well as members of the press for swift and complete reporting.

“We have a combination of two contradictory crises. The coronavirus epidemic is serious, we now have 254 infected, a significant increase since this morning,” the prime minister said.

He reiterated the importance of social distancing and appealed to citizens to see to that.

Beros: We are still on ascending curve of coronavirus epidemic

Health Minister Vili Beros said at the press conference that “we are still on the ascending curve of the epidemic, which is as expected. It’s necessary to keep away from the walls of collapsed buildings but also to keep a distance from each other.”

He said the safety of hospitals in Zagreb was being checked, that the situation in them was under control, and that patients were returning to those assessed as safe.

Beros said the girl gravely injured in the earthquake was still in treatment and that all others who were injured were taken care of.

He said two babies were born after the earthquake and that all premature children from the hospital for women’s diseases and maternity were transferred to Dubrava Hospital.

Bozinovic: All services responded and did their job

“All emergency services responded in a short time and did their job in very complex conditions, given that we are simultaneously dealing with two crises, one is invisible, the other unpredictable,” the head of the national civil protection authority, Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic, said at the press conference.

He thanked all civil protection services which engaged about 2,500 people, and said “the Croatian army, the police, civil protection and the healthcare system will be up to the mark as they have so far.”

Members of Civil Protection have visited all parts of the city and provided direct assistance to citizens, and around 100 are currently erecting a tent settlement for 500 people in the Trg Franje Tudjmana Square, the city office for crisis management said.

Fifty teams are on the ground with more than 200 construction experts who are assessing damage caused to the buildings.

Jandrokovic: Listen to authorities, don’t give in to panic

Parliament Speaker Gordan Jandrokovic called on the people of Zagreb to listen to the relevant bodies and the national civil protection authority and not to give in to panic.

The situation is not easy as the people of Zagreb are faced with two demanding crises, coronavirus and the earthquake, he said on NOVA TV.

Share on:

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts