Ćevapčići, or Ćevapi, are definitely the most barbecued of all the meats in Croatia.
Ćevapčići could almost be considered an adopted national dish. It is almost impossible to go to a BBQ in Croatia without ćevapčići being sizzled up.
There are a number of different recipes and everyone has their own secrets. Here is just one recipe which you can try at home and chuck on the BBQ.
Minced beef – 750 g
Minced pork – 400 g
Garlic – 5 cloves
Egg – 1
1. In a large bowl place the minced beet and pork, crush in the 5 garlic cloves, sprinkle over paprika, salt, pepper, cayenne pepper and baking soda.
2. Add in the egg and mix together with your hands as much as you can – the more it is mixed the tasty they will be.
4. Roll the mixture into their little sausage shapes (about 6cm long and 1cm thick) but it does not matter if they are bigger or smaller.
3. Cover with cling film and leave in the fridge overnight.
4. They are ready to cook – best is on the BBQ on a high heat – they will need a few minutes on each side.
Check out 8 great places to try Ćevapčići in Zagreb HERE.