LONDON, July, 1 2019 – Midfielder Mateo Kovačić (25) has become the most expensive signing in Croatian history after Chelsea confirmed his purchase from Real Madrid today.
Kovačić has signed with the Blues on a permanent 5-year deal after spending last season there on loan from Real Madrid. According to the BBC, Chelsea spent €45m on the Croatian.
The signing is the most expensive in Croatian history, beating the previous record which was also set by Kovačić when Italian club Inter Milan paid €31m for him from Dinamo Zagreb.
“It was an amazing feeling to sign for Chelsea, first on loan and now permanently. It is a fantastic club, with great team-mates and we play a good style of football. I am very proud to be staying here and very proud to be a Chelsea player,” Kovačić was reported as saying on the club’s official website.
Kovačić will feature this season in the Chelsea midfield with another player with Croatian heritage, Christian Pulisic. Chelsea signed the American-Croatian to replace Eden Hazard who has moved to Real Madrid.
TOP 10 Most Expensive Croatian Transfers of All-Time
1. Mateo Kovačić 2019/20 Real Madrid – Chelsea (€45 mil)
2. Mateo Kovačić 2015/16 Inter – Real Madrid (€31 mil)
3. Luka Modrić 2012/13 Tottenham – Real Madrid (€30 mil)
4. Dejan Lovren 2014/15 Southampton – Liverpool (€25,3 mil)
5. Marko Pjaca 2016/17 Dinamo – Juventus (€23 mil)
6. Mario Mandžukić 2014/15 Bayern Munich – Atletico Madrid (€22 mil)
7. Mario Mandžukić 2015/16 Atletico Madrid – Juventus (€21 mil)
8. Luka Modrić 2008/09 Dinamo – Tottenham (€21 mil)
9. Nikola Kalinić 2018/19 Fiorentina – Milan (€20 mil)
10. Duje Ćaleta-Car 2018/19 Salzburg – Marseille (€19 mil)