15 July 2021 – Earlier this week, UEFA announced the top 10 nominations for the best of goal of Euro 2020.
Among the top 10 was Croatia captain Luka Modrić’s second-half strike against Scotland with the outside of this foot. After receiving a lay-off from Mateo Kovačić, Modrić sent the ball into the top corner with the outside of his right foot to make it 2-1 to Croatia.
With the goal, Modrić become Croatia’s oldest ever goal scorer at Euro. He also holds the record for being the youngest player to score.
After almost 800,000 votes cast in just over 24 hours for the ten best goals by UEFA’s Technical Observer team, the winner of goal of the tournament has been found with Patrik Schick’s long-range effort for the Czech Republic against Scotland named Goal of the Tournament
Paul Pogba’s strike into the top corner against Switzerland came in second, while Modrić was third with his outside-of-the-foot effort against Scotland.
UEFA Technical Observers’ top ten goals
1. Patrik Schick, Scotland 0-2 Czech Republic (14/06, Matchday 1)
2. Paul Pogba, France 3-3 Switzerland, 4-5 pens (28/06, round of 16)
3. Luka Modrić, Croatia 3-1 Scotland (22/06, Matchday 3)
4. Lorenzo Insigne, Belgium 1-2 Italy (02/07, quarter-finals)
5. Kevin De Bruyne, Denmark 1-2 Belgium (17/06, Matchday 2)
6. Cristiano Ronaldo, Hungary 0-3 Portugal (15/06, Matchday 1)
7. Álvaro Morata, Italy 1-1 Spain, 4-2 pens (06/07, semi-finals)
8. Mikkel Damsgaard, England 2-1 Denmark, aet (07/07, semi-finals)
9. Andriy Yarmolenko, Netherlands 3-2 Ukraine (13/06, Matchday 1)
10. Federico Chiesa, Italy 1-1 Spain, 4-2 pens (06/07, semi-finals)
You can see all the goals here.