Home » Latest » First White Christmas in Croatia in 9 Years?

First White Christmas in Croatia in 9 Years?


With 8 days left until Christmas Day, those keen on a ‘white Christmas’ have begun checking the weather forecast.

The last time it was a white Christmas in Croatia was 9 years ago, and as the big day draws closer the chances of happening this year increase.

According to the State Met Office the week leading up to Christmas for most parts of the country, excluding the coast, will be well into the minuses in the morning.

Whilst mornings will be chilly this week, the average afternoon temperature is unlikely to creep higher than 4 degrees.

It is going to be a cold week and forecasters say there is a chance of snow to fall too. In the Gorski kotar and Lika area forecasters say that there is a 50-70% chance of a white Christmas.

Split under snow – unlikely this Christmas.

In the north-west of Croatia chances 8 days out are 40-60%, whilst in Slavonia the chances they say are less (20-40%).

Whilst inland Croatia will be cold with chances of snow, the coast is likely to be wet.

According to Met Office, the last time there was a white Christmas was in 2007 when 12 cm of snow fell.

(photo credit: Sandra Tralic)

Share on:
5 / 5 (1 votes)

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts

Monarch Launch New Direct Flights to Croatia from London & Manchester

British low-cost airline Monarch Airlines, who based at Luton Airport just outside of London, will launch direct flights to Croatia this week from London and Manchester. On Friday 28 April 2017 Monarch commence direct flights between Zagreb and London (Gatwick). Flights will operate three times per week on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The following day,...

99 Croatian Beaches with Coveted Blue Flag Status

Croatia continues to lead the way in Europe for the number of beaches with the coveted Blue Flag rating – a symbol of eco-responsibility, signifying pristine waters and cleanliness. This year 118 beaches and marinas in Croatia were awarded Blue Flag status by the Foundation for Environmental Education (FEE). Of those 99 were beaches and...

[VIDEO] The Magical Watermill Village of Rastoke

Situated inland in the Central Croatian town of Slunj is the stunning little village of Rastoke. Rastoke is known for its well-preserved mills and the picturesque little waterfalls and flowing cascades along the Slunjčica river, which flows into the river Korana at this place. The Korana river originates at Plitvice Lakes National Park and Rastoke...

Croatia’s Biggest Beer Fest Set to Open

The 31st ‘Dani Piva’ (Days of Beer), Croatia’s version of Oktoberfest, is set to take place once again in Karlovac this month. Over 120,000 are again expected to visit the 10-day beer fest over when it takes place this month in Karlovac from 25 August until 3 September 2017. Over 40 different beers from a...

Split & Dubrovnik Named on Europe’s Best 16 Beach Cities List

Leading New York-based travel magazine Travel + Leisure have named Split and Dubrovnik on its 16 of the best beach cities in Europe list. Many of Europe’s finest cities aren’t just popular for their art museums or raging nightlife scenes: They’re also home to some of the most beautiful beaches on Earth, writes Travel +...

35 Must-Try Foods When in Croatia

  By Mia. K Croatia offers a wide variety of delicious food options that will leave you wanting more. The diversity in regions means you will be able to experience different specialties all over the country. Here is a selection of 35 foods to try whilst in Croatia. STARTERS / SNACKS   1. Goveđa Juha...