Dubrovnik deals with overcrowding problems by restricting cruise ship arrivals in 2019
- by croatiaweek
- in News
Measures are starting to be put in place to deal with summer overcrowding in Dubrovnik.
Contracts have been signed with cruise ship companies for 2019 which will see a maximum of two cruise ships, with no more than 5,000 passengers, being allowed to dock daily in Dubrovnik.
“Contracts with cruise ship companies have been signed for next year, so during the week from Monday to Sunday, a maximum of two cruise ships will arrive daily. Sometimes there will be only one cruise ship, and sometimes two cruise ships will arrive at the same time, or one in the morning and one in the afternoon, but we will have a maximum of two a day,” Dubrovnik mayor Mato Frankovic said, Jutarnji reports.
Franković said that now only the issue of resolving traffic problems in Dubrovnik remains, which he believes has been caused by the liberalisation of the taxi market with over 1000 taxis operating this summer.
Dubrovnik has been under pressure to introduce measures to deal with overcrowding, including from UNESCO who even considered to revoke Dubrovnik’s World Heritage status if action was not taken.
Last year, after UNESCO’s recommendation, Dubrovnik imposed restrictions so not more than 8,000 people at any one time could enter the Old Town. This has now been further cut to 5,000 people.
“The key to the success of a destination is management, and we have made it through contact with the world-leading CLIA group, which brings together all the key cruise travel organisers. We have arranged a better schedule of arrivals and departures for cruise ships, thus significantly improving the flow of guests into the Old City of Dubrovnik,” Franković said.