Croatian Recipes: Tripice – Špek Fileki
- by croatiaweek
- in Food & Wine
Špek fileki (tripice) is just one way to prepare tripe, the edible stomach lining of cattle.
In the past, this was a popular ‘peasant’ dish, but today it is on the menu at a number of top restaurants as its popularity has increased.
Check out this tripe recipe which includes špek (pancetta).
Tripe (half-cooked) – 1 kg
Pancetta – 200 g
Onions – 200 g
Carrots, Celery – 200g
Fresh Paprika – 50 g
Potatoes – 200 g
Tomato concentrate – 1 tablespoon
Flour – 2 tablespoons
Garlic – 3 cloves
Lemon – 1/2
Parsley – 1 tablespoon
1. In a pan heat oil and fry the diced pancetta. Add the diced onions and fry until soft.
2. In a blender mix carrots, celery and paprika. Once blended add to the pancetta and onions and keep frying.
3. Add the tripe to the pan with the vegetable mix, pancetta and onions and mix well. Add some salt, tomato concentrate, flour and keep frying and stirring.
4. Add the diced cooked potatoes and stir before adding water (enough to cover). Leave cook for around half an hour.
5. Add the juice of half a lemon and cook for a few extra minutes. Sprinkle parsley on top as well as grated parmesan cheese and serve.
Check out the video below.