A take on one of Croatia’s traditional dishes which has been inducted into the list of Croatia’s intangible cultural heritage.
Zagorski Štrukli, which is a popular dish served mainly in the north of the country, is composed of dough and various types of filling which can be either cooked or baked. Prep is the same for both cooked and baked štrukli.
Enjoy this version with walnuts.
Walnuts – 300 g
Cottage cheese – 300 g
Raisins – 50 g
Flour – 350 g
Eggs – 2
Milk – 150 ml
Sugar – 4 tablespoons
Vanilla sugar – 1 pack
Cinnamon – 1 teaspoon
Honey – 1 tablespoon
Sour cream – 1 dl
Cream – 3 dl
Butter – 100 g
Oil – 2 tablespoons
Salt – 1 pinch
1. To make the dough mix the flour, egg, oil, salt, and warm water. Once it is mixed into dough drizzle with oil so it does not dry whilst resting. Leave for 30 minutes.
2. Put the milk into a hot pan, add 2 tablespoons of sugar, raisins, cinnamon, honey, and walnuts. Cook a bit then leave to the side to cool.
3. In a separate bowl mix the cottage cheese, an egg, sour cream, sugar and vanilla sugar. Add then to the walnut and milk mixture (cooled).
4. On a cloth sprinkled with flour stretch out the dough – thin enough just so it does not break.
5. Add the mixture to the first row of the stretched out dough (as per video) in 10 cm lots then roll the cloth going away from yourself. Once rolled then cut into the Štrukli shapes and place in dish which has melted butter in it.
6. Pour cream over and let bake for 45 minutes on 200°C. Once ready sprinkle with icing sugar and cinnamon and serve.