Another popular sweet treat in Croatia – the layered chocolate slice Mađarica (pronounced Ma-jar-ri-sa). Check out this recipe courtesy of Fini Recepti.
Flour (all purpose) – 600 g
Baking powder – 1/2 teaspoon
Egg whites – 2
Sugar – 200 g
Sour cream – 200 ml
Lard – 50 g
Milk – 1litre
Flour (all purpose) – 5 tablespoons
Chocolate – 200 g
Butter – 150 g
Sugar – 180 g
Chocolate – 100 g
Butter – 80 g
Oil – 2 tablespoons
1. Preheat oven to 180°C
2. To make the dough sift flour and add baking powder, softened lard, egg whites, sugar, and cream. Knead together into a dough and divide into 5 equal parts.
3. Roll each part to fit into a cake tin – 25x30cm is good – and each rolled part bake in the oven for around 10 minutes. Take out and leave to cool. Be careful they don’t break.
1. In a cup of milk add the flour. The remaining milk bring to the boil
2. Add in sugar and chocolate.
3. Take off heat and add in the cup of milk mixed with flour and place back on heat.
4. After a few minutes – or when it thickens nicely – take off heat and then add in butter and mix.
5. Leave to cool.
1. Over rolling or simmering water melt all the ingredients – chocolate, butter, and oil – until well combined.
Place one layer in the cake tin – spread 1/4 of the filling then place the next layer on top and repeat. The top layer does not have filling on as the glaze will go over the top.
Pour over glaze, cover with cling film and put in the fridge overnight. Cut into small pieces and serve.