Croatian Recipes: Homemade Dalmatian-Style Šalša
- by croatiaweek
- in Food & Wine
A tasty light stew made of tomatoes, onions, and spices is a popular sauce in Croatia, particularly in Dalmatia.
Homemade Šalša goes great with pasta or rice or just as a side sauce. There are many different recipes out there, some include bell peppers.
Here is one simple and tasty one which goes great with pasta.
Onions – 1.5 kg
Tomatoes – 1.5 kg
Garlic – 5 cloves
Pepper – to taste
Sweet paprika (ground) – 3 pinches
Salt – to taste
1. Heat up olive oil in a large pan.
2. Dice the onions and fry in the oil until soft and golden brown.
3. Add the garlic and fry until smells released.
4. Chop the tomatoes (removing the skin is optional) into quarters and add to pan.
5. When the tomato juices have released then add the sweet paprika, pinches or more (depending on taste) of the Vegeta, salt, black pepper, and stir.
6. Turn down the heat and let simmer for around 35-40 minutes. Keep mixing every now and then until the sauce is the right consistency.
7. Just before it is ready sprinkle parsley on top.