The smell of Bakalar, or dried cod, conjures up that Christmas atmosphere. Brudet od Bakalara, or other variations such as Bakalar na bijelo, are very popular dishes traditionally eaten on Christmas Eve in Croatia.
There are different variations and methods to cook Bakalar and here is one great tasty version to try this Christmas from Fini Recepti.
Dried cod (Bakalar) – 500 g
Potatoes – 1 kg (new)
Onions – 4
Peeled tomatoes – 1 can (without juice)
Garlic – 4 cloves
White wine – 100 ml
Prošek – 30 ml
Bay leaf – 1
1. In olive oil, fry the onions until soft. Add the cod, which has been chopped into pieces, and fry until the fish stops releasing water
2. In another pot with some olive oil add the potatoes (peeled and cut into ), the cooked cod and onions, and peeled tomatoes. Add salt, pepper, garlic, freshly chopped parsley and pour over 1 dl of olive oil
3. Add the wine, prošek (prosecco), and enough water to cover all the ingredients in the pot
4. Cook on a low heat until the potatoes soften and cook (around 30 minutes)
5. Let it sit at least for 1 hour then heat slightly before serving