Home » News » Croatian media outlets to block comments on Friday in campaign against hate speech

Croatian media outlets to block comments on Friday in campaign against hate speech

ZAGREB, Oct 22 (Hina) – Numerous influential Croatian media outlets responded to the call of the Croatian Journalists’ Association(HND) and Union of Croatian Journalists (SNH) to block comments under articles on their websites from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Friday, October 23, as part of a joint campaign against hate speech.

“Ahead of the activity being launched it received support from the Vecernji List, Jutarnji List, 24sata, Slobodna Dalmacija, Glas Istre and Glas Slavonije (dailies), N1 television, Novosti, web portals Telegram, Tris and Zg.info, and we expect confirmation from other newspapers, televisions and web portals that they will join us too,” HND president Hrvoje Zovko told Hina.

He added that the action was a symbolic start of a joint campaign against hate speech, stressing that the problem has gone out of control and that hate speech, which has so far mostly remained in the realm of social networks, has spread to the real world.

SNH head Maja Sever dismissed claims by some politicians and media outlets that the action meant the HND and SNH support Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic and Culture and Media Minister Nina Obuljen Korzinek, that is, that they support Plenkovic’s intention to censor public opinion in the media and on the Internet.

I do not know how a call to discuss a problem can be considered joining anyone, let alone the Prime Minister and Minister (Obuljen Korzinek), or how they even became involved in this story, Sever said.

Share on:

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts