With Easter Sunday just days away, we take a look at a creation found on a number of tables in Croatian households, especially in northern areas.
‘Šunka u kruhu’, or ham in bread, is exactly that and it is often served with Oliviers salad and spring onions.
There are a number of different ways to prepare this. Here is one recipe below, and a video with English subtitles.
Ham (cooked) – 1 kg
Flour – 500 g
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Butter – 200 g
Milk – 200 ml
Eggs – 6
Egg yolk – 1
1. In a clean bowl, sieve the flour – add in the yeast, sugar, salt, melted butter, warm milk and eggs and mix together. Then use a beater to mix well.
2. Place the dough in a dish (make sure the surface is sprinkled with flour), cover and leave at room temperature for 45 minutes.
3. Cut the skin off the ham.
4. Grease a tray with some fat and sprinkle flour on top. Put the dough on top and then place the ham on top of the dough. Paste the ham with an egg yolk and sprinkle with flour.
5. Now wrap the ham in the dough. Place in a pre-heated oven (180°C) and then cook for around one hour.
6. Once it is cooked you can cut and serve.
(so it does not burn you can cover the top part with foil)
Check out the video, with English subtitles below: