Home » Business » Croatia Awarded €1.3 Million for Free Fruit & Vegetables in Schools Scheme

Croatia Awarded €1.3 Million for Free Fruit & Vegetables in Schools Scheme

fruitCroatia has been awarded 1.3 million euros for its free fruit and vegetables for school children programme, the European Commission announced yesterday…

The European Union has allocated 150 million euros to 25 countries to implement free fruit and vegetable schemes in the 2015/2016 school year, with Croatia receiving 1,360,845 euros. Over 200,000 kids from close to 900 primary schools in Croatia will be eating fruit and vegetables free for lunch in the next school year as part of the programme. EU funds will cover 90% of the programme with the remaining 10% financed by the Croatian government or private firms.

The aim of the School Fruit and Vegetables Scheme is to prevent and reduce childhood obesity by making sure fresh and seasonal fruit and vegetables in available in the daily nutrition of school children. The programme involves children from the 1st to the 8th grade of primary schools in Croatia. (image / europe.eu)



Share on:
0 / 5 (0 votes)

Sign up to receive the Croatia Week Newsletter

Related Posts

Harper’s Bazaar Names Zlatni Rat on World’s Best Beaches List

One of America’s leading fashion magazines has included Croatia’s Zlatni rat beach in Bol on the island of Brač on its list of the Best Beaches in the World for this year published on Thursday. With a global readership in the millions and close to 3 million Facebook fans, Harper’s Bazaar’s recognition is more great...

[PHOTOS] First Underwater Winery Opens in Croatia

Croatia’s first underwater winery, where wines are kept in amphorae under the sea, has opened on the Pelješac peninsula. Visitors to the Edivo winery, which is located in Drače, will have an opportunity to be introduced to this unique Croatian product. The winery extends over 1000 m2 on land and under the sea, and includes...

Rimac Factory Tours Becoming a Popular Tourist Attraction

One of the recent success stories to come out of Croatia has been the rise of entrepreneur Mate Rimac and his company Rimac Automobili. Rimac produces high-performance electric vehicles, including the Concept One, the world’s first electric super car, drivetrains and battery systems. Rimac Automobili factory is located on the outskirts of Zagreb in Sveta...

Swimming Water Quality at Croatian Beaches ‘Excellent’

The latest testing of swimming water quality at Croatian beaches has been completed and it has revealed once again that Croatia remains home to one of the cleanest waters to swim in in Europe. Sea water quality at the nation’s beaches was conducted between 31 July and 11 August 2017. Swimming sea water at 953...

7 Natural Wonders of Croatia

The 7 Wonders of the Ancient World were a collection of incredible constructions. From the Great Pyramid of Giza to the Hanging Gardens of Babylon and Colossus of Rhodes, the world is truly home to some amazing sites. Some locals would often joke that the whole of Croatia was the 8th Wonder of the World,...