ZAGREB, March 13 (Hina) – One more case of COVID-19 has been confirmed in Croatia earlier in the morning with a Croatian solider contracting the disease, however, the situation in the army is under control, the National Civil Protection Authority said on Friday.
“He was in close contact with an infected person. We still do not have any indications of local transmission,” the Minister of Health Vili Beros emphasised at the National Civil Protection Authority’s press conference. The infected soldier was admitted to the Fran Mihaljevic infectious diseases hospital in Zagreb.
Minister Beros said that currently 553 samples were being tested, with results pending for 15. As of today, 5,991 people are under observation.
The director of the Fran Mihaljevic hospital, Alemka Markotic, emphasised that only one newly diagnosed patient had mild symptoms, while all others were stable.
Answering questions from the press about the child diagnosed with coronavirus, Markotic emphasised that health authorities had asked a number of times that family matters be not revealed to the public. “We will not disclose any family information for now,” she added.
She emphasised that, according to available information on the epidemic, the information disclosed by Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic was correct, namely that the percentage of infected children and persons younger than 20 was extremely low.
“Even if they are infected, their symptoms are very mild,” Markotic said.
More serious forms of the disease were registered within the at-risk population, among persons older than 70, and especially among those suffering from chronic diseases, she added.
Deputy Interior Minister Damir Trut explained that the prolonged waiting at the border crossings was due to procedure established for passengers entering Croatia.