With Easter happening this weekend we take a look at one thing found on a lot of tables in Croatian households – Šunka u kruhu, or ham in bread.
Check out the recipe below, and video with English subtitles which follows.
Ham (cooked) – 1kg
Flour – 500 g
Sugar – 1 tablespoon
Butter – 200 g
Milk – 200 ml
Eggs – 6
Egg yolk – 1
1. In a clean bowl sieve the flour – add the yeast, sugar, salt, melted butter, warm milk and eggs and mix together. Then use a beater to mix well.
2. Place the dough in a dish (make sure the surface is sprinkled with flour), cover and leave at room temperature for 45 minutes.
3. Cut the skin off the ham.
4. Grease a tray with some fat and sprinkle flour on top. Put the dough on top and then place the ham on top of the dough. Paste the ham with an egg yolk and sprinkle with flour.
5. Now wrap the ham in the dough. Place in a pre-heated oven (180°C) and then cook for around one hour.
6. Once it is cooked you can cut and serve.
(so it does not burn you can cover the top part with foil)
Check out the video, with English subtitles below: