Goveđa Juha (Beef Soup) is a favourite dish of the typical Croatian grandma. Simple, reasonably cheap and quick yet very tasty and healthy. The meat from the soup is then used for a meal with a side of potatoes and salad.
Beef (with bone)- 750 g
Water – 2 litres
Onion – 1
Carrots – 150 g
Celery root – 200 g
Parsley – 80 g
Vermicelli/pasta – 60 g
Pepper (granules – 1/2 teaspoon)
1. Put the beef in warm water on heat and wait for it to boil. When it boils add pepper, chopped carrots, celery, and parsley.
2. Chop the onion in half (keep the skin on) and fry in a pan and then add to the rest of the ingredients cooking with the beef in the pot (keep the skin on). Add vegeta, pepper and salt.
3. Cover and turn down to very low heat and let it cook slowly for around 2 hours.
4. When it is ready, take out the beef and vegetables (that can be served as a meal after the soup). Strain the rest of the soup through a sieve.
5. In some boiling water put in the Vermicelli/pasta. Once ready take out and add to soup.
You can see the video instructions below.