Capsicums stuffed with a mix of meat and rice in a tasty tomato sauce, known locally as punjena paprika, is a popular dish in Croatia. Eaten in summer and autumn, the key is to use the Bianca / Babura variety of pepper.
Best served with mashed potatoes and a glass of wine. Enjoy.
Ingredients (serves 4)
Paprika – 4 large, fresh (sweet Bianca / Babura)
Minced meat – 500 g mixed (pork/beef)
Rice – 1 tablespoon
Egg – 1
Onion – 1
Garlic – 3 cloves
Parsley – 1 teaspoon chopped
Tomato puree – 700 ml
Bay leaf – 1
Wash the peppers and with a knife cut out the stem at the top and then remove the seeds inside – leaving a hole at the top of the peppers to put the minced meat inside – make sure the hole is not too big so the filling stays in better.
In a bowl mix together the egg, washed rice, chopped onions, garlic, and parsley. Add the minced meat, season with salt and pepper and mix with hands. Stuff the mixture inside the cleaned peppers.
In a pot fry in some olive oil two tablespoons of flour until light brown, add the tomato puree, water, salt, pepper, bay leaf and let it boil.
Then add the stuffed peppers, add more water and cover and cook on a low heat for 45 minutes.
Prepare mashed potatoes.
Ready to serve.
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Goveđa Juha (Beef Soup)
- Croatian Recipes: Palačinke Bez Jaja – Making Crepes without Eggs
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Soparnik – Dalmatian Swiss Chard Pizza Pie
- Croatian Recipes: Octopus Salad
- Croatian Recipes: Kroštule
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Orahnjača
- [VIDEO] Croatian Recipes: Pear Strudel